The upcoming Agritech Expo Zambia has more international pavilions than any previous edition. This year’s outdoor farming exhibition taking place from 11-13 April at GART in Chisamba, will feature specialised farming products, services and technology with country pavilions and stands from the European Union, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, the United Kingdom, the Nordic countries and from China and Thailand.
“This is a very good indication of Agritech’s growing regional and international reputation as an event of excellence in the sector” says Rob Munro, Director of Strategy at Musika, a Zambian non-profit company that works to stimulate private sector investment in the smallholder market. Musika has been a key partner since the start of Agritech Expo Zambia. He adds: “what started as a national exhibition has, over the course of six years, become an internationally recognised focal point for agricultural technology and Zambia, and the Zambian agricultural community, should be proud to be the host of such an event.” http://www.agritech-expo.com/Musika-interview
Greater integration of smallholder farmers
The European Union says it is looking forward to learning from smallholder farmers and agri-businesses, who are the main beneficiaries of its forthcoming 99-million euro “Sustainable Commercialisation of Zambia’s Smallholder Farmers” programme, about their investments, challenges and opportunities. This agreement was officially kicked off during a signing ceremony at last year Agritech Expo Zambia. In an interview in the run-up to the event, the organisers of the EU pavilion say this will help to better understand how the EU can support their activities in the future and promote greater integration of smallholder farmers in profitable value chains.
“We are also excited to present and explain our ongoing development programmes in the agricultural sector to the participants. These initiatives further demonstrate the long-term commitment of the European Union and its member states to making agriculture an inclusive private sector business contributing to jobs creation and growth in Zambia.”
The full interview can be read here: http://www.agritech-expo.com/EU-pavilion-interview
Zambia at the helm of future agribusiness
Gold sponsor Agriserve Agro and convener of the Czech pavilion has offices in both Zambia and South Africa, which MD Renier van Vuuren says gives them two advantages: “firstly, South Africa is Zambia’s biggest trade partner and in agriculture many cross border TAX subsidies and exemptions exist, especially with firms and governments existing in the SADC and COMESA regions.
“Secondly with COMESA and SADC combined countries in trade see Zambia at the helm of future agribusiness in Africa. Not only the increased livestock production by the increased access to livestock services by Agriserve Agro, but also through the small holder livestock transformation via diversification of livestock farming to increase small holder vegetable and various cash crop production made possible by foreign investment in the sector.
Agriserve Agro’s already existing partnership with the Czech Republic is an example of how this is possible. The Ministry of Agriculture and Mendel University in Czech Republic have provided both financial and technical support to small scale livestock farmers in 2018.” http://www.agritech-expo.com/Agriserve-interview
More international pavilions and stands at Agritech Expo Zambia include:
- “Italy has an age-old tradition in agriculture and commercial farming. Machinery manufacturers often come from the same areas of end users and their equipment is the result of a long-standing interaction with them. Over the decades these companies have extended their reach internationally and have now all the know-how and expertise to help boost Zambian agriculture.”
– Dr Marco Pintus, Director of the South African office of the Italian Trade Agency and convenor of the first Italian country pavilion at Agritech Expo Zambia.
- “Mechanisation is the key to the farming business of the 21st century and will definitely have positive effects like higher outputs, generate more income for the farmer itself and the society. When it comes to the buying of inputs and equipment, the label ‘Made in Germany’ is one that evokes perceptions of quality, efficiency and trust.”
– Martin Botzian, Head of Communication, DLG International GmbH, and conveners of the German pavilion in Chisamba for the last six years.
- CNCIC has organised a Chinese delegation to participate in Agritech Expo Zambia. The CNCIC is an authoritative provider with comprehensive service in chemical industry and relevant areas, including information consulting, exhibition and conference, E-commerce, IT service, publication, etc. This year, we’ll bring four to five Chinese top class, high-tech agrochemical manufacturers in our pavilion and present their brand products which are specifically developed for Zambia’s agricultural conditions.”
– Allen Li, Deputy Exhibition Department Manager at the China National Chemical Information Center (CNCIC).
- “Our “F.U.V.” (Farm Utility Vehicle) is a life changing machine. We have seen it literally change the lives of small and medium farmer across Asia and parts of East and West Africa. It has changed Thailand’s small farmers from local sales around the village to becoming commercial suppliers of agriculture for around the world.”
Shannon Lee Ferry, Assistant Marketing Manager & Overseas Coordinator of STI International in Thailand and manufacturers of Flying Star FUVs (Farm Utility Vehicles). They are first-time bronze sponsors at the upcoming Agritech Expo Zambia.
This year the event at GART is expected to bring more than 20 000 visitors from some 39 countries, over 220 local and international exhibitors, with 3500 VIP and large scale farmers and 150 members of the media. Agritech Expo Zambia is free to attend for all visitors that pre-register.
Agritech Expo Zambia is owned by the Zambia National Farmers Union (ZNFU) and is organised by Spintelligent, leading Cape Town-based trade exhibition and conference organiser, and the African office of Clarion Events Ltd, based in the UK.
Agritech Expo Zambia 2019:
Farmers Preview Day
Thursday 11 April 2019 | 09:00 – 17:00
Open to all agricultural professionals
Friday 12 April 2019 | 09:00 – 17:00
Saturday 13 April 2019 | 09:00 – 15:00
Location: Gart Research Centre, Chisamba, Zambia